This is discussed, for example, here:
http://www.pnas.org/content/114/12/3103

Also, here I calculated the distribution of map values (scaled in r.m.s.)
for four groups of atoms: main-chain atoms, side-chain oxygen atoms of ASP
and GLU (negatively charged OD1, OD2, OE1, OE2), side chain atoms of ARG
and LYS (positively charged NH1, NH2, NZ), and all other side-chain atoms.
Clearly side-chain oxygen atoms of ASP and GLU have indeed systematically
weaker density:

http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/tmp/fig.png

First picture: all maps from EMDB of resolution 3A or better. Second
picture: all maps from EMDB of resolution 3-4A.

All the best,
Pavel