**** Apologies for cross-posting ****

Dear colleagues

Here at the University of Bristol we are currently reviewing the tools we use to support online marking and feedback, and exploring what else is out there in the HE sector. In the past few weeks I have been exchanging emails and speaking with a range of people from different institutions, and as usual the response from our professional learning technology community has been really useful.

From excellent research done in the past by JISC, the Heads of e-learning forum and others, we know that some institutions are successfully using online marking and feedback, whilst others continue to face significant challenges, including around change, diverse processes, and limitations in technology.

I thought it might be useful to gather and share a sector snapshot.  From the data and views I have been collecting recently my summary so far of the current position would be as follows:

  1. Whilst online submission is widely used in UK HE institutions, systematic use of online marking and feedback across institutions is less common

  2. A majority of institutions use their VLE and/or Turnitin

  3. It is not uncommon for more than one tool to be used in institutions, for example Blackboard and Turnitin

  4. VLEs and Turnitin meet many requirements around online marking and feedback, but still have gaps

  5. Some institutions have addressed these gaps by developing in house systems or add-ons

  6. A few are starting to use alternative commercial tools, e.g. Wiseflow, Pebblepad

  7. Support for large scale use of anonymous marking is the biggest challenge

  8. Institutions who do not require anonymous marking are able to use VLEs or Turnitin relatively successfully

Firstly I'd welcome any thoughts on this summary (is it accurate, what is missing?)

Secondly for a very quick sector snapshot (as I understand HELF are not repeating the EMA survey this year), I would also like to invite you to answer 3 quick questions about online marking and feedback in your institution.

These are about: 1. mandate 2. tools and 3. anonymity    (This is in a Google spreadsheet format so anyone participating can see the snapshot.)

Many thanks

Roger

Digital Education Development Manager
Digital Education Office | Academic Registry
University of Bristol | Senate House
Tyndall Avenue Bristol BS8 1TH

Tel: (+44) 0117 92 88229
A top 3 UK university with leading employers (High Fliers 2017)
A top 5 UK university for research (REF 2014)
A top 10 university (QS Rankings 2018)