Sent: Friday, March 23, 2018 at 7:52 AM
From: "arthur torrington" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Charles Dickens on American Slavery ?

for information

advertisements for runaway slaves -- 3/19/18

https://delanceyplace.com/view-archives.php?p=3552&utm_source=American+Notes+136-138&utm_campaign=3%2F19%2F18&utm_medium=email

delanceyplace.com
Today's selection -- from American Notes for General Circulation by Charles Dickens. In 1842, 30-year-old Charles Dickens, already flush with the success of such books as Oliver Twist and The Pickwick...Today's selection -- from American Notes for General Circulation by Charles Dickens. In 1842, 30-year-old Charles Dickens, already flush with the success of such books as Oliver Twist and The Pickwick Papers, made a tour of the United States, and published his observations in a book titled American Notes for General Circulation. On that tour, he encountered the pervasive and brutal realities of slavery, including advertisements for slaves published routinely in local papers and discussed casually by the citizenry. He wrote a fervent condemnation of slavery in his book, and included a list of some of the ads he encountered during his tour: