Good afternoon,

We have had a compulsory ‘Equality Induction’ session (face to face) for all new staff for many years.   As HR have now released an online training platform containing a number of courses, one of which contains generic but very good equality information, I am taking the opportunity to review the session I present so that it complements this rather than duplicating it….  so for example focussing on the public sector equality duty only rather than summarising the whole Equality Act when discussing legislation.  This will free time within the session (currently 90 minutes) to include more of the HE specific advice around equality and diversity and I wondered if I could ask colleagues to share what they would see as essentials to be discussed with new staff?

If you currently manage equality induction and don’t mind sparing me a few minutes of your time, it would be really helpful to understand:-

·         What elements you cover and in what depth

·         How long a session you run

·         Whether it is compulsory for all new staff or optional

Or indeed if you only provide online training to new staff, as I believe many of you do through Marshall or another online platform, can you let me know whether you feel comfortable with that approach?

Many thanks if you’re able to help.  Kind regards,

Lyn

Lynda Tout    PG L&Mgt, MCIPD, BSc Soc Sci

Inclusion Coordinator

Plymouth Marjon University

Ground Floor HDC Building

Tel: 01752 636981 Extn: 3246

Plymouth Marjon University is a trading name of the University of St Mark & St John