Special track on Artificial Sociality at the Social Simulation Conference 2018 (SSC2018)

Dear colleagues,

Please consider submitting your work to the special session on Artificial Sociality, to be held at the Social Simulation Conference 20-24th August, 2018 in Stockholm, Sweden.

Session chairs:

Gert Jan Hofstede, INF group & Silico Centre, Wageningen University, Netherlands

Wander Jager, Groningen Centre for Social complexity, Groningen University, Netherlands

Flaminio Squazzoni, Computational Sociology, University of Brescia, Italy

The lives of people, from cleaners to leaders, are full of drama, and this has consequences for the fates of countries and companies. Power struggles, political manoeuvring, loyalties and love affairs, sympathies and anxieties rule the day. Practitioners know that the social world shows a lot of pattern. Patterns repeat themselves at national level, in groups, between factions. Can we social simulation adepts cope with this relational logic in our models? Can we create, not artificial intelligence, but artificial sociality?

This track should bring together models that explicitly address the social, relational side of life. We ask for contributions that are not only conceptual but also include application of concepts to cases, or at least proof-of-principle agent-based models. Possible topics include, but are not limited to

·         Dynamics of status and power in groups

·         Emergence of different social structures in relation to culture

·         Gender roles and networks in different cultures

·         Concepts of family and supportive networks across cultures

·         Evolution of cooperation in and between groups

·         Relation between norms and values

·         Dynamics of emotions such as jealousy, envy, admiration, revenge, and forgiveness

·         Implementation of canonical social scientific models in ABM

·         Emergent effects of interaction between formal and informal layers in society

Deadline:

Extended abstracts (3-4 pages) or full papers (max. 12 pages) until 30th March, 2018 via EasyChair.

Important links:

Conference homepage: http://ssc2018.dsv.su.se

Submission page: https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ssc20180

Formatting guidelines:

All submissions must be in PDF format and formatted using the LNCS guidelines. Please see http://www.springer.com/gp/computer-science/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines

For further information, please contact [log in to unmask]

We look forward to your submissions!

Best wishes,

Wander Jager, Flaminio Squazzoni, Gert Jan Hofstede

dr ir Gert Jan HOFSTEDE
associate professor, Applied Information Technology Group & SiLiCo
Wageningen University, Dept of Social Sciences, Hollandseweg 1, 6706KN Wageningen
http://www.wageningenur.nl/inf/  [log in to unmask]
+31 317 48 46 30 (office); + 316 21474677 (mobile)