Here is a new set of quotations for this week (Feb 26th to March 3rd):

1. …Here, under the guidance of the inky apprentice, he had learned to find his way more or less circuitously about the case, and considered himself an expert compositor.The…paper in its locked formes lay on a stone-topped table, a proof by the side…With a mallet and a pair of tweezers, he knocked out mysterious wedges of wood that released the forme, picked a letter here and inserted a letter there, reading as he went along and stopping much to chuckle over his own contributions…

2. Keller was insolent with joy. He was going to cable from Southampton to the New York World, mail his account to America on the same day, paralyse London with his three columns of loosely knitted headlines, and generally efface the earth. 'You'll see how I work a big scoop when I get it', he said.
'Is this your first visit to England ?' I asked.
'Yes', said he…

3. ...It was a shade cooler in the press-room than the office, so I sat there, while the type ticked and clicked, and the night-jars hooted at the windows, and the all but naked compositors wiped the sweat from their foreheads and called for water…There was no special reason beyond the heat and worry to make tension, but, as the clock hands crept up to three o'clock, and the machines swung their flywheels two or three times to see that all was in order before I said the word that would set them off, I could have shrieked aloud…

The sources of the last set of quotations are as follows:

1. ( ...(he) said to me: "Serve Caesar. You are not canvas I can cut to advantage at present. But if you serve Caesar you will be obeying at least some sort of law.")  This is from "The Manner of Men" in Limits and Renewals. The captain of a Roman ship, wrecked on passage to Rome, is speaking of ST Paul.

2. (‘...We saw the twinkle of night-fires all along the guard towers, and the line of the black catapults growing smaller and smaller in the distance...)  This is from "The Winged Hats" in Puck of Pook’s Hill. Parnesius is remembering his feeling of responsibility after being made one of the Captains of the Wall.

3. ( ‘...this time he conformed to the man, with inimitable judgement and temper. He allowed himself to be played into the shadow or the sun, as the delighted audience demanded...' This is from "The Bull that Thought", in Debits and Credits, about Apis, a bull that escapes.  in Stalky-like fashion, the death that faces him in the bill-ring, by outwitting his enemies and playing to his audience.

In the NRG we have continued to fill the remaining gaps in our coverage of the Verse. including notes by John Radcliffe on on "The People of the Eastern Ice...",  and "A Translation".

Also notes by John McGivering and John Radcliffe on "Angutivaun Taina", "The Floods", "The Press", "The Song of Seven Cities", "The Beginnings", "England's Answer", "Hunting Song of the Seeonee Pack", "Darzee's Chaunt", "Belts", "The Waster" and "Memories".

And notes by Philip Holberton on "The Fabulists", by Charles Allen on "With Scindia to Delhi", by Roger Ayers on "The Jacket", and by Philip Holberton and John Radcliffe on "The Answer".

Good Springtime wishes to all

John R