About the employer...

I am a scientist and science presenter, and my long-term missions are as follows:

·      To make quality science education as accessible as oxygen.

·      To nurture curiosity.

·      To stand in the way of environmental destruction.

·      To encourage innovation and courageous thinking.

​Like many on this list, I want to see a world where science communication is funnier, more engaging, and above all, never assumed to be "just for kids", or just for “science-loving adults”.

I am now at the stage of having 20M video views across platforms, and I have given talks for the likes of TEDx London, UN Ops and London Science Museum. I am now working on a podcast with the founder of QI.

My following is growing, and late last year, I was awarded the emerging producer bursary at the World Congress of Science and Factual Producers.

I am now in talks with production and publishing companies in London, Washington and New York, and I am looking for an assistant to join me on this journey.

About the role

I am seeking a management assistant with ambitions in the world of media (in particular educational media / media for positive social change), and a taste for adventure / a highly varied role.

The role offers…

·      Opportunities to build relationships with top figures in media.

·      Involvement in wide variety of projects (filming with the King of Bhutan, visiting fusion reactors etc.).

·      A diverse workload, providing opportunities to develop a range of unique skills.

·      The chance to play a transformative role in a rapidly growing media project, with the primary aims of better educating the public, and driving positive social change.

The role begins as part-time, with flexible hours.

Exact hours/days each week to be negotiated. This could be from 1 day to 5 days.

Payment / employment will be on a contractual basis to begin with, though the position has the potential to evolve into a full position in time.

The ideal candidate will be...

·      Organised, hard working and reliable.

·      Good with people / emotionally literate.

·      Creative and innovative: an orthogonal thinker.

·      Enthusiastic and quick to learn.

·      Interested in the world around them (not necessarily a scientist).

·      Well-versed in social media.

·      Keen to immerse themselves in educational media / media for positive social change.

·      Happy to, at times, be given paid, unstructured hours, to use her/his own initiative.

An ideal candidate will have strong examination grades. Good grammar is essential.

In more detail, the job will involve helping with…

·      Building relationships with media professionals, and up-keeping pre-existing relationships with figures ranging commissioning editors at National Geographic and the BBC, through to academics at top universities.

·      Managing logistics for video shoots and recordings.

·      Building bridges with influencers to create collaboration opportunities.

·      Overseeing social media management – replying to fans, checking posts and editing my content.

·      Building relationships with festival organisers.

·      Researching and obtaining funding grants, and managing crowdfunding.

·      Campaign management / harnessing pre-existing content to bring about positive social change.

·      General administration, including scheduling and invoicing.

And, if within the skillset / interests of the applicant:

·      Researching story opportunities, and new ideas.

·      Video editing.

·      Photo editing.

Payment

£10/h + expenses

Links

TEDx

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAQ44MLby5I

Website

Social Media

www.facebook.com/ScienceInTheBath

www.instagram.com/MatthewShribman

www.youtube.com/ScienceInTheBath

To apply…

Please send:

·      Your CV

·      A very short covering letter (absolute maximum one side of A4) explaining why you think you’d be well suited for the role.

·      Any relevant social media of your own (not necessary).

·      How many hours / days each week you’d ideally like to work for, be this 5 hours or 5 days.

…to [log in to unmask]

Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.

psci-com how-to: Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask]. If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list) • set psci-com nomail (to stop receiving messages while on holiday) • set psci-com mail (to resume getting messages)