What is the Physics behind Thunderstorms?

Come find out Weds 21 Feb at 6.30pm.

Lectures held  Franklin Room, Institute of Physics HQ, 80 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT. Refreshments are served from 6pm on the day of the lecture. Please register below to attend lectures

Register at: https://www.events.iop.org/e/the-physics-of-thunderstorms-1f80b5d6a1c9481d832d05c15fbdffbd/page.html

Thunderstorms are ever-present across the globe and for centuries have had both a strong cultural influence. Our knowledge about thunderstorms has been largely driven though by our need to protect ourselves from their impact on local communities and infrastructure. This talk will explore what we know about the physics of thunderstorms and how this has helped us to understand how and where they occur, both on the earth and on other planets, the important role they play in balancing the earth's energy budget, how to mitigate the weather hazards they create and how we can use this knowledge to make predictions and give warning.

http://www.iop.org/activity/branches/south_east/lse/file_70989.pdf

Best wishes

Mark

……………………………………………….

Dr Mark Telling

Senior Research Scientist (STFC)
Vice President (membership) (IoP)

Follow us on:

Twitter: @IOPLSE
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ioplse

Tel: +44(0)1235445529

http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mark_Telling
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/mark-telling/19/381/27

psci-com how-to:
Once subscribed, send emails for the list to [log in to unmask] If not subscribed, either subscribe here https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=psci-com or send requests for items to be posted on your behalf to [log in to unmask]

• signoff psci-com (to leave the list)

Contact Jisc Helpline: Email: [log in to unmask], Telephone: 0300 300 2212