Dear Colleagues

As head of the Centre for Psychiatry in the Medical School and QMUL, I am delighted to invite you to attend our annual Barts & The London Psychiatry: State of the Art Congress 2018 on Wednesday 7th March 2018. An all-day meeting will take place in the Willoughby Lecture Theatre, Charterhouse Square, London EC1M 6BQ.

The theme this year is Neuroscience and Psychiatric Intervention.

Neuroscience is bringing in so many potential powerful treatments for our patients and for public health impact, so it promises to be an exciting day. The afternoon includes trainees and student presentations, part of a research competition with prizes awarded at the end of the day.

We have world class speakers for the morning session from UCL, KCL and Imperial speaking on subjects on preventing dementia, the biology of addiction, child victimisation and future psychosis, and transcranial stimulation technologies for treating schizophrenia. The programme is below and attached.

This is joint initiative with the East London NHS Trust and it is free to attend. Do please RSVP to Zaqea Munir  [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  or for further details contact Lisa Kass [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Morning  Session
Conference Chair:

Professor Kamaldeep Bhui
Centre Lead
Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry

9.00-9.15am

Registration and Coffee

9.15-9.30am

Welcome address
Colin Bailey
Principal, Queen Mary University of London

9.30-10.10am

Early detection and prevention of dementia
Prof Nick Fox
National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery
University College London

10.10-10.50am

Epigenetic markers of childhood victimisation and psychotic experiences
Dr Helen Fisher
Senior Lecturer & MQ Fellow
King's College London

10.50-11.10am

Coffee

11.10-11.50am

Advances in Addiction Biology
Prof Anne Lingford-Hughes
Head, Centre for Psychiatry and Professor of Addiction Biology at Imperial College London and Hon Consultant Psychiatrist, CNWL NHS Foundation Trust

11.50-12.30pm

Stimulating thought; transcranial direct cortical stimulation in schizophrenia
Prof Sukhwinder Shergill
Professor of Psychiatry & Systems Neuroscience
King's College London

12.30-1.00pm

Open Forum

1.00-2.00pm

Lunch

Afternoon Session
Conference Chair:

Professor Frank Röhricht
Medical Director  for Research , Innovation and Medical Education
East London Foundation Trust

2.00-2.15pm

Welcome and Introduction

2.15-3.15pm

Trainee and Medical Student Presentations

3.15-3.45pm

Tea

4.55-5.10pm

Brief address
Queen Mary University of London
Award Presentations

5.10-5.15pm

Closing Comments

We look forward to welcoming you.
Kind regards

Professor Kamaldeep S Bhui CBE MD (Lon) FRCP(Edin) FRCPsych FRSA PFHEA
Centre Lead for Psychiatry
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine
Barts & The London School of Medicine & Dentistry
Queen Mary, University of London

Professor of Cultural Psychiatry & Epidemiology
Director of Mental Health PG Taught Programmes
Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist, East London Foundation Trust
Editor in Chief, British Journal of Psychiatry

Postal address:
Centre for Psychiatry
Barts & The London School of Medicine & Dentistry
Old Anatomy Building
Charterhouse Square
London EC1M 6BQ

Tel (DL):               +44 20 7882 2012
Tel (PA):               +44 20 7882 2021
Email:                    [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
twitter:                   @ksbhui

A Collaborating Centre of the World Psychiatric Association
[cid:40347684-DE4D-4CBB-9674-005E7438AB3B]