Marco, you may also know the striking blood-of-Christ images in
Jeffrey Hamburger's
*Nuns as Artists: The Visual Culture of a Medieval Convent*. University of
California Press, 1997. But this, too, is mainly from German sources. I
can't remember if he deals with Italy. -- Paul

--
Paul Chandler, O.Carm.
Holy Spirit Seminary  |  PO Box 18 (487 Earnshaw Road)  |  Banyo Qld 4014
 |  Australia
office: (07) 3267 4804  |  mobile: 044 882 4996