Dear Lis-Bibliometrics colleagues,

I’m pleased to announce that booking is now open for the pilot Statistics for Responsible Bibliometrics course.

This course has been designed with Bibliometric, Library and Research Office staff in mind for whom bibliometrics is now a part of their role, but who have had little or no statistics training.  In one intensive day, the course aims to introduce a set of statistical approaches that can be incorporated into common bibliometric analyses to help with the responsible interpretation of those analyses.  Delegates will have hands-on statistical practice using the open source software package ‘R’.  No prior experience with R is necessary.  While an overview of basic statistical concepts will be provided, please bear in mind that this course is not intended as a traditional introduction to statistics.  Instead, the focus is very much on using statistics specifically in a bibliometric context—and a lot of that is not about using the statistics you would learn in most introductory courses, hence the reason we are running our own bespoke course for the community!  The event will be free of charge in return for detailed feedback about the course to help inform its development. The course is being co-taught by Mike Thelwall, Ian Rowlands, and Abigail McBirnie.

Please note that because places are extremely limited, this event is restricted to one place per institution.  Although you will receive an automated notification of booking, please do not make any travel arrangements until your place has been confirmed separately by email.

ARMA have kindly offered to manage bookings for us, but places are being advertised only to Lis-Bibliometrics members in the first instance.  To book, please follow this link:

https://arma.ac.uk/product/statistics-for-responsible-bibliometrics/

Best regards
Elizabeth

Dr Elizabeth Gadd MCLIP, FHEA
Research Policy Manager (Publications)
Research Office
Loughborough University
Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU

Tel: 01509 228594
Skype: lizziegadd
Twitter: @lizziegadd

Working Hours: Mon 8.30-5; Tues & Wed 8.30-3

View my latest publication! <https://lb-public.lboro.ac.uk/cgi-bin/personcite?username=lbeag&dobranding=1&hits=1>
Google Scholar Citation Profile<http://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?hl=en&user=M7L765kAAAAJ>
http://orcid.org/0000-0003-4509-7785
http://about.me/elizabeth.gadd