Hi William,
From 2010 onwards in Bucks we have only been recording direct HER enquiries as Commercial or Non-commercial in nature. However I do have a more detailed breakdown for the 10 years from 2000-2010, if this is of use to you?
Regards,
Julia

Julia Wise
Historic Environment Record Officer
Buckinghamshire County Council
Tel: 01296 382072
www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/archaeology/Archaeology.page<http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/archaeology/Archaeology.page>

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of William Illsley
Sent: 09 February 2018 09:22
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HER User Demographics

Good morning all,

I am currently writing my PhD thesis on archives in the context of digital heritage– specifically those relating to Historic Environment related data and how to add value from a public perspective – and I wondered if I could ask you all for some information.

Before starting my PhD, I worked for Hampshire HER and it was my observation that in general the primary users were situated within the planning system (local government, archaeology units/ organisations, heritage consultants, etc.) followed by academics and researchers; it seemed only a small percentage of the total users were members of the public, and those that did inquire mostly had queries related to property ownership and listed buildings. This observation is corroborated by the statistics in Hampshire’s 2014 HER audit, and the pattern is somewhat similar in Sweden through their national databases. My suspicion is that this probably the same through the UK but I need a few more numbers to support this.

I’ve spoken to the people at the Heritage Gateway and unfortunately, they have currently hold no national user statistics. For those of you who do survey your users or have enquiry logs, is it possible to share some of the relevant statistics with me?

Best regards,
William

---------------------
William Illsley PCIfA
CHEurope Early Stage Researcher
Marie Skłodowska-Curie ITN Action
Room H310
University of Gothenburg
Dept. of Literature, History of Ideas, and Religion (LIR)
Box 200
405 30 Göteborg, Sweden

[Be A Good Neighbour]<https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/care-for-adults/be-a-good-neighbour/>
Buckinghamshire County Council

Visit our Web Site : http://www.buckscc.gov.uk<http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/>

Buckinghamshire County Council Email Disclaimer

This Email, and any attachments, may contain Protected or Restricted information and is intended solely for the individual to whom it is addressed. It may contain sensitive or protectively marked material and should be handled accordingly. If this Email has been misdirected, please notify the author or [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> immediately. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on any of the information contained in it or attached, and all copies must be deleted immediately. Whilst we take reasonable steps to try to identify any software viruses, any attachments to this Email may nevertheless contain viruses which our anti-virus software has failed to identify. You should therefore carry out your own anti-virus checks before opening any documents.

Buckinghamshire County Council will not accept any liability for damage caused by computer viruses emanating from any attachment or other document supplied with this email.

All GCSx traffic may be subject to recording and / or monitoring in accordance with relevant legislation.

The views expressed in this email are not necessarily those of Buckinghamshire County Council unless explicitly stated.

This footnote also confirms that this email has been swept for content and for the presence of computer viruses.