Limericker Literaturgespräche

Centre for Irish-German Studies, University of Limerick

The Centre for Irish-German Studies invites you to our contemporary German writing series with award-winning authors from Germany, Austria and Switzerland, who will be reading and discussing their work.

14 February 2018 Jan Wagner and Matthew Sweeney

Room: D1049, Time: 5:30pm

Acclaimed Irish Poet Matthew Sweeney and prize winning German poet Jan Wagner (Preis der Leipziger Buchmesse 2015 and Georg-Büchner-Preis 2017) will visit UL to read from Sweeney’s newest collection of poems which was translated into German by Wagner and published as Hund und Mond (Dog and Moon). The book was chosen as ‘Buch des Monats’ (Book of the month) by the Darmstädter Jury and has been praised for its surreal approach to everyday life.

28 February 2018 Gabrielle Alioth

Room: D1049, Time: 5:00pm

Swiss-Irish writer Gabrielle Alioth has been a great friend of the Centre over years and has been giving a number of wonderful readings. She will return again on 28th February and read and discuss her novel Die entwendete Handschrift (Basel: Lenos 2016) and other Irish-German (Swiss) writing.

21 March 2018 Anna Weidenholzer

D1049, Time: 5:00pm

The Austrian journalist and writer Anna Weidenholzer comes to UL to present her book Weshalb die Herren Seesterne tragen, which was selected for the longlist of the German Book Price in 2016. The book is about Karl, a retired teacher who sets out to question people about their life satisfaction. Soon his journey seems like an escape and the questioner inevitably becomes an object of questioning himself. The visit is organised by our Austrian Lektor Natascha Guggi and is supported by the Austrian Embassy.

6 April 2018  Dmitrij Kapitelman

Room: tbc Time: 9.30am

The German-Ukranian-Jewish novelist and Zeit journalist Dmitrij Kapitelman will visit UL to read from his book Das Lächeln meines unsichtbaren Vaters (The smile of my invisible father), for which he received the Klaus-Michael-Kuehne-Preis of the Harbour Front Literaturfestival in 2016. The book is about his and his father’s search for identity, which leads both of them to Israel. Kapitelman’s stay in Ireland is organised by the Centre and supported by the DAAD writer-in-residence programme (which will bring Dmitrij Kapitelman also to UCD, UCC and NUI Galway).

We gratefully acknowledge the support of the readings by the AHSS Teaching Fund, Dr Beate Schuler, the Austrian Embassy and the DAAD.

All welcome!

Dr Gisela Holfter

Senior Lecturer in German

Joint Director, Centre for Irish-German Studies

School of Modern Languages and Applied Linguistics

University of Limerick

Ireland

Phone: +353-61-202395

Email: [log in to unmask]