HI Katherine (and all)

Is a policy the right solution here? Surely with the services of a competent ICT technician you can set these devices up so that they cannot be used to access the internet at all, and are only capable of playing the content you have loaded into their internal memory.  This means that the device cannot be used to check anyone’s Facebook, or worse. I don’t know how to do this, because I’m happier welding than coding, but I’m absolutely sure it is doable by the right people - maybe whoever’s making the video content could help?

It might still be possible for a sufficiently tech-savvy and determined visitor to hack through all the protection and hijack the device for some nefarious purpose, but that would be an act of vandalism or criminal damage just as much as throwing stones through your windows or scribbling on the wallpaper.

The problem with having a policy is that it doesn’t stop people doing things: it only allows you to stop them doing stuff once they’ve been caught doing it once. Policing the use of a tablet can become intrusive, and this may cause more problems than the policy is supposed to solve. A technical solution to this kind of problem erects barriers that limit people’s choices to the ones you want them to make in advance, so it doesn’t need policing, and shouldn’t interfere with your visitors enjoyment of their day out.

Hope this helps

Regards

Richard.

Richard Ellam