Hi Thais,

As written, the reviewer is wrong, that is, randomise can definitely take
more than just two covariates.

That said, the whole context suggests that the reviewer didn't mean what
they wrote. They seem to be concerned with the fact that age, education and
interval between scans is different between groups, which reduces power to
investigate group differences. Another concern between the lines is that
interval between scans could in fact not be considered a confound, but an
explanatory variable of interest, and having it in the model as nuisance
can further reduce power.

Finally, for me it isn't clear whether age was entered in the model as a
constant for both timepoints (e.g., baseline age or average age), as
opposed to age at the time of scan, in which case it would be confounded
with interval between scans. If both age, interval, and the
subject-specific intercepts are all nuisance, this isn't really a problem,
but if one of these (such as interval between scans) became a variable of
interest, then jointly age at scan and subject-specific intercepts would
wash any effect away.

So yes, the reviewer is wrong regarding the number of covariates, but maybe
there is something they are getting at that may need attention...

Hope this helps!

All the best,

Anderson