Hi Paul,

You can try to detach the stylet from the muscle by scrubing gently the
muscle and then make a transversal cut in the mantle near the tip of the
sylet and try to pull them out from that insertion carefully avoiding to
break them.

I stored my collection of octopus vulgaris stylets in two different
solutions Ethanol+glicerol and 4% formaline, and I found out that the
center of the stylet became darkened more quickly with the ethanol
solution, so I would recommend 4% formaline.

But yes, I suggest to measure and weight them before stored.

All the best,

Sílvia

--
Sílvia Lourenço

PhD Marine Ecology

CMC - Centro de Maricultura da Calheta
Direção Regional de Pescas da Região Autónoma da Madeira
CIIMAR - Centro Interdisciplinar de Investigação Marinha e Ambiental
OOM - Observatório Oceânico da Madeira

e-mail: [log in to unmask]

phone: 00351 291820420

skype: silvial30