In the latest issue of the Journal of the English Place-Name Society, Volume 48
(2016), just published (why the 2016 volume should be published in 2018 is
another issue, so to speak...) is to be found buried in "Notes and Reports" a
note "Purley Revisited" by Nigel Suffield-Jones (pp.90-92) - I believe this has
important implications.

Suffield-Jones is essentially writing up a demonstration by a local historian
that Purley (Sr - now Greater London) derives from Purley (Brk) - which has now
taken to calling itself "Purley on Thames" - via the names of manorial servants
(the earliest references are to people called de Pirlee and de Purle.) Quite
apart from anything else, this changes the etymology of Purley (Sr). Should we
call this Direct or Indirect Toponymic Transfer?

Now, I think this shows that we have not paid sufficient attention to the
likelihood of place-names being derived from toponymic surnames. Keith Briggs
raised the issue of tenement names from toponymic surnames here in 2014, and we
had debate in 2006 when I pointed out that Purbrook (Ha) is recorded first as a
toponymic surname de Pukebrok. (I am worried that the place may be named after
the person. Unfortunately, there is a brook at Purbrook, so I am not sure which
way Occam's [Ockham's] Razor cuts...)

John Briggs