Er... http://www.workhouses.org.uk/life/food.shtml

A lot is known about what people (different ages, two sexes) ate in workhouses in different centuries in different places. A lot of bread. Beer.

I would mainly worry about the vitamin content not about the bulk, certainly not about 5 ounces of meat a day which is more than we should be consuming and a lot more than the ration in the Second World War when British nutrition was at its peak.

Judith