Hi Tian,

It's data related. Likely your images drifted translationally too far,
since they were initially picked off-center. Try re-extracting with
re-centering enabled with the data star-file of the last iteration in the
2D classification that crashed.

In the next RELION version this issue will be handled internally and the
hard crash replaced with a warning.

Best,
Dari