I think David Lace has valid points to make and has a positive role on the list. Luke is the eternal student reminding me of perpetual students at University College Cork in decades past. They went from degree to degree & had a wonderful time on the old campus. It was the right size then and the lunacy of Atkins & Carey ( no relation) created a tin can portaloo horror. Even the historic Cork Jail was to vanish as well as various memorials to inmates who died there. In time the perpetual students vanished into history and Cork became a far duller place. I enjoy Luke very much as he covers a lot of ground and robust debate proves we are alive. I see him zooming around on a bike bearded & sandals with a bag of books in my mental picture.

On the silence of the lambs regarding Alison it is no surprise nor indeed the silence on Jimmy C and Rachel W. All three are doing very well on the literary scene with Alison clearly still venerated. The lambs now are older men and women than they were when I first came upon them in Dublin. Their lessons on networking will benefit their offspring find literary glory plus kudos and be less neo boho. It will be a direct route to the academic groves with Mom & Pop acting as guides.

The notion of a level playing field in matters literary were obvious a longtime ago but as George Michael sang “You gotta have faith” & I did. Poor George is in Highgate now with Marx but he for me was a very honest pop star. George never apologised for anything he did or ran to rehab. for drug or booze or sex addiction. In fact it was amazing he lasted as long as he did & after his death his good deeds were revealed.

My own apology was met with silence & Alison & Rach & Jim never had one word of apology for a sustained attack. Those who say “he’s just a guy with a grudge” are well off the mark but all claim to be pro equality? Those who say “sour grapes” are merely excusing inequality in terms of showing homage to some & disdain for others. Giles calling for moderation was odd as the literary world is full of venom & not just within The New York school Pierre Joris. Maybe my apology was totally unnecessary?

I view the adoration of Alison as snowblind nonsense and yet a touch of reality. Some indeed are more equal than others & no “that’s just the way it is” can alter that fact. But guys & gals feel free to proclaim your belief in elitism & then we can really start to debate.

Cheers
sc
"half of the time we're gone & we don't know where"
The Only Living Boy In New York
Paul Simon

On Tuesday, 13 February 2018, Ralph Wessman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>>can of worms Luke :) …. “Works of art seem more able to be unequivocally good than persons can be.”

Hi Luke ... was reading an article by Svetlana Mintsheva in the ‘Guardian’ a couple of weeks ago, (‘Caravaggio killed a man. Should we therefore censor his art?’), suggests that 'Individuals, must face the consequences of their behavior. But if the art they have made transcends the squalor of their misdeeds – and so it must since it has been so meaningful to so many – it should remain accessible.’

My 'can of worms remark' ... just thinking aloud along the lines of life gets lived, mistakes get made, regret becomes commonplace, you pick yourself up, life goes on … maybe good art can be the work of a moment (sustained moment?), maybe the notion of good in a person is better qualified by words such as ‘on the occasions I do good.... ’ ( etc)?

Cheers, Ralph