Schwitters is one of my idols. My heart flutters to see his name. There was a fantastic exhibition of his visual work at the Tate in 2013: http://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-britain/exhibition/schwitters-britain
At which they reconstructed an entire edifice he had built while living in the north of England. Amazing work. Schwitters was overlooked by so many for so long, and struggled to survive as a German in post-War England. His visual work was supported at that time by one of his New York–based surrealist friends, who got the Museum of Modern Art to buy his work; even so he struggled with grotesque poverty and hardship. The surrealist movement, as you undoubtedly know, was a poet’s movement, though in the English speaking world its visual components soon became the representative art form. This is addressed in a book assembled and introduced by Pontus Hulten, The Surrealists Look at Art, which I had the pleasure to be the editor for while I was at The Lapis Press. Michael Palmer and Norma Cole translated.

QS: Let’s return to poetics.
JR: When did we leave?

—From the conversation between Quinta Slef and Joan Retallack, The Poethical Wager