That is a difficult question. A lot of the reviewers of the book have found influences of poets I've never read but certainly intend to now. I left the UK in 1976 and came to Spain. This left me isolated from the poetry 'scene' but I was able to re-read Lorca in the original Spanish as well as others writing in Spanish, such as Rafael Alberti, Miguel Hernández and Neruda. I had brought my small collection of Penguin's Modern European Poets so I read Quasimodo, Rilke, Montale, Vasko Popa and, especially, Celan. Like most young poets of the time, I was heavily influenced by Eliot and the Liverpool Poets. However, I would include certain non-poets such as James Joyce and, above all, Samuel Beckett as being very important for me. Music has been very important, too: Bob Dylan of Bringing it all back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde, Roy Harper, Captain Beefheart, Blues in general and Jazz, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, Archie  Shepp and others.

I've had little formal literature education since failing my Eng Lit A-Level. What I know is just an informal amalgam of what I've picked up piece-meal on the way. I did later do an MSc in Applied Linguistics, which, if nothing else, I've used to play with language. I've also found the Norton collection of American Postmodern Poetry to be a treasure trove.

The poems are a little longer in general in my forthcoming book with The Corrupt Press, some time we are heroes. 😉

Reuben