Hi Helen,

If it's likely to be a one-off thing I would generally recommend procuring a professional data recovery service given the cost (both cash and effort) in acquiring and maintaining old hardware, especially if it's a technology one is not familiar with - older devices were rarely 'plug and play' and may require certain hardware configurations or have operating system/other software dependencies (drivers etc.) that could add to the overall cost/effort.

Some in the UK are here - all claim to handle SyQuest and 5.25''. If they cannot deal with the BASF tape they may be able to recommend someone who can:

http://disktransfer.co.uk
https://www.cbldatarecovery.co.uk
http://www.ondata-uk.com/

I haven't personally used these so it may be worth seeing if they can provide verifiable references/testimonials. They should be able to provide assurances around handling the media although there will not be a 100% guarantee that they'll actually be able to recover anything, so it may be possible to negotiate a lower cost if they can't.

I hope that helps.

Alex

Alex Green
Digital Preservation Services Manager
+44 (0)20 3908 9088
Or ext 2286
The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/>