Hello everyone. It is with much sadness that I announce Steve Carroll's
passing. Steve was an ardent supporter of AACORN and of the arts & business
movement in general. His book with Patrick Flood, "The Persuasive Leader:
Lessons from the Arts" is an extensive reflection on his use of film and
music within leadership education, as is his most recent book with his
daughter Alisa Kinney and Harry Sapienza, "Effective Teaching for Managers:
Lessons from Films." Though Steve only started publishing within art and
business later during his career, I recall that even when I was a graduate
student I could often find him at the University of Maryland's art theater
and other art venues. He also took me to the Smithsonian National Gallery
of Art, where he told me about his early career decisions. It went
something like this:

"Several of us from the U. of Minnesota had defended our PhDs and were
celebrating at a bar. Someone asked what our plans were. One guy said, "I
plan to pursue fame," and indeed he's now one of the most published guys I
know. Another said he planned to get rich, and he's also doing pretty well.
When it came my turn, I answered "I will pursue beauty." Well, you can
imagine how everyone's jaws dropped, especially during those days of
science. When asked about it, I replied, "Beauty is everywhere if you know
how to look. The more you look, the more you find and the more you get
back; it's remarkable that way. Once you have it, you always have it; no
one can take it away from you. And it grows within and around you if you
encourage it. So that's why I will pursue beauty." That's what I've been
doing ever since, and so far it's turned out great."

That was a pivotal conversation in my career, and in one way or another
Steve's wisdom about this has affected many of my life choices. I know that
he's also touched thousands this way, whether through his teaching,
writing, or his extensive service in and out of academia. I remember when
he was made a fellow of the Academy of Management, and what a spectacular
turnout there was at the reception--arts people came from everywhere, and
it was one of the most festive and touching receptions that I've ever
known. Steve will be missed by so many, but I'm equally sure that he'll be
present for a long time to come. D.