Dear Gareth

Taking this idea further, student maths mentors might benefit from taking a coaching course to develop listening and coaching skills and learning to avoid premature solutions.

We built a 24 hour course around ideas in the Egan Coaching book 'Skilled helper' - see attached . I am sure it could be shortened.

One of our notable successes was a student who had failed GCSE maths was able to help a student doing Alevel maths successfully and another that a panic in an ICT lesson was headed off by a student sharing resilience strategies.

All good wishes

Sue JW

Sue Johnston-Wilder, FIMA, FHEA, CMathTeach
Associate Professor of Mathematics Education
Centre for Education Studies
University of Warwick | Coventry | CV4 7AL
t: 07787402766
e: [log in to unmask]

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/ces/research/current/mathematicsresilience

http://www.mathematicalresilience.org/

http://<http://www.mathematicalresilience.org/>blogs.warwick.ac.uk/maths_resilience/<http://blogs.warwick.ac.uk/maths_resilience/>

"Maths anxiety is acquired, disabling and treatable."