From: Online forum for SEDA, the Staff & Educational Development Association <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Jason Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 26 January 2018 17:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Blog post: The purpose of education?

Didn't Foucault say something to the effect that the word 'fascism' is only useful because it's underdefined, and is therefore quite easily moulded to whatever purpose you need?

I like Reading's book a lot (great paragraph somewhere in there about everyone describing themselves as excellent using identical language) but my memory of it is that he recommended universities be/become/remain places for 'thinking', and he left that just as underdefined as 'excellence' already was even then.

Language being made to perform subtly (or drastically) new purposes is surely just language at work: the driving and shaping forces are always going to be values and relevance (not as far apart as they might initially seem to some), which takes us back to Dilly's point that we need to keep contesting the meanings imputed to/imposed on teaching not as guardians of a fixed meaning but as custodians of those values that underpin what has us teach and research in the first place. I'd suggest this isn't about 'settling' anything though. When I started teaching, a friend said 'just remember, more than anything else, you teach what you are'. Academics are what academics do, which (I think) is stop, look and listen more deeply (then poke things gently to see what happens [please translate for your discipline as appropriate]; as long as we are doing that to the metrics and the governance (and the language), there's hope;)

Cheers
Jason