I would agree with James.

I would add that legal holds is seldom, if ever, discussed - and automated deletion cuts across retention of information (record or non-record) for a judicial, regulatory, or litigation hold.
Regards
Sent using BlackBerry® from EE

From: James Lappin <[log in to unmask]>
Sender: The Information and Records Management Society mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 13:24:05 +0100
To: <[log in to unmask]>
ReplyTo: James Lappin <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Retention of email

Dear Kath, Eldin and Meic

We often have the discussion on this listserv as to how long/short a period  emails should be retained for.

We very rarely have a discussion on whether it is appropriate to apply the same retention period to emails in all email accounts regardless of the relative importance of the activities that the individual account holders are carrying out.

I have yet to come across any evidence that the routine deletion of emails, whether after three months or three years, prompts the routine capture of business emails into a record system.

James