Hi all,

I’m in the third year of my PhD and right now I’m conducting my realist interviews as part of an evaluation case study. I’ve done about 35 so far. I was requested by my supervisory team not to use the realist terminology but to find other way of explaining it.

Before I explain some of the practical tips I’ll give some background for context.

I’m not evaluating a typical pre post intervention. My research is evaluating everyday routine practice of rurally based community stroke teams. These teams have been identified from a national audit as being high performing. The reason for this is to find out how they manage to fulfil the audit criteria when other rural teams struggle.

So when I’m presenting the concept of theories. I tell them I’ve done background reading and stakeholder engagement with community stroke teams and I have ideas about why I think some rural teams are able to fulfil the audit whereas others do struggle. However, I also tell them that my ideas are tentative and if my ideas don’t match their experience to please let me know as it’s important that I accurately capture their experiences.

When trying to test the theories I use phrases such as
“ my background reading tells me that X is really important for Y and I’d like to talk to you about it.
Or
“I observed the other day that.... and that seems to impact on Y can we chat about it please?”
Or
“One of ideas I’m currently developing is X and I don’t think I’ve quite got my head round it yet. Can you tell me a bit more about this and help me understand please?”

Sometimes I find they tell me things that are essentially resources - tangible things which the service have implemented to make things run smoother and I’ve found with some people realist mechanisms are hard to elicit. Recently I explored the idea of asking people to imagine that we were on a panel advising the commissioning of a brand new rural community stroke service and essentially we wanted to give the commissioners some tips so that they could learn from the experiences of other rural teams. I start these conversations off by saying.

“So... we know that having X is really important but from your perspective can you tell me why it is important. What difference does having X make therapists working within the team?”

Sometimes this allows people to think deeper. Some people don’t want to talk about their own experiences in the realist way but by making them think a little bit more abstractly and ask them to think about a brand new service they appear more at ease with discussing the underlying mechanisms.

I’ve found this an effective way of probing and I plan on continuing to use this strategy. However I’d love to hear other people’s tips and ideas for phrasing questions in these scenarios as I think we can all help each other along this path.

Happy to converse more and continue this debate with others.

Thanks

Jo Howe
Postgraduate Researcher
University of Nottingham