Thanks for the responses so far.

The question I suppose could be better framed, as several have sent me or pointed out projects which have been 'realist' process evaluations.  This does make sense to me, seeing as you can have a realist [insert method] anything can't you?!

However, process evaluations do have guidance, from the MRC, developed by people who wanted to set out the rubric for PE, and I wonder to what extent they, and 'we' are talking about the same thing (generative causation and explanation), but just giving it different names?

So in a sense the question 'when would you choose to do a process evaluation over a realist evaluation'  depends on whether you are investigation the process of how some intervention reaches its objectives, or interested in finding out more about what works, how it works for whom, in what circumstances and why....  but are these not really the same thing?!  Or is it more a matter of emphasis - any kind of process evaluation is (necessarily) only focussed on the "how", at the exclusion of all else (unless they offer explanatory traction to the "how")... ?

Is it just a matter of taste?  Do we need to employ the realist CMOCs when we can get to the same conclusions using theory of change, or logic models.... ?

I guess my question runs a bit deeper then - how do we delineate realist from other kinds of evaluation....?  Or is it like trying to say how is realist interviewing different from interviewing?

In earlier RAMESES posts, I know that it always seems to come back to the programme theory, looking for then testing out generative mechanisms.... but is this not what a process evaluation does too?  Are we saying then that all process evaluation are realist in nature because they do these things?

So many more questions and I still feel like I'm missing something obvious....!

(I am so glad I'm not involved in running the seminar :))

Thanks again for comments,

Best wishes
Becky.

Rebecca Hardwick