Dear all,

We are currently seeking a Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor Physiotherapy within the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Sydney. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 024/0118 to apply.

Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor Physiotherapy

Faculty of Health Sciences

Reference no. 024/0118

About the opportunity

We wish to enhance our established research and teaching programs with a physiotherapy appointment at Senior Lecturer (C) or Associate Professor (D) level. You will join an established and highly-skilled teaching team and make a substantial contribution to the continued success of our well-funded research.  For more information on our research teams please visit the following links:

Physical activity, lifestyle, ageing and wellbeing: http://sydney.edu.au/health-sciences/research/highlights/healthy-ageing.shtml

Musculoskeletal health: http://sydney.edu.au/health-sciences/research/highlights/musculoskeletal.shtml

We require the successful applicant to have expertise in musculoskeletal physiotherapy and/or neurological physiotherapy. Expertise in physiotherapy for older persons is desirable. The successful applicant may also contribute to teaching in areas such as evidence-based and professional practice in physiotherapy, as well as across settings, such as community or acute health care.

We are seeking to appoint a highly-motivated professional to make a significant contribution to our research and teaching programs. There will be opportunities to contribute to ongoing curriculum review, ensuring that our programs produce future leaders in clinical physiotherapy, health care, health research and health education. This is a stimulating position that offers the opportunity to be involved in cross-disciplinary research within the Faculty of Health Sciences, throughout the University of Sydney, and with international partners.

In this role you will:

·         teach into undergraduate and postgraduate courses in physiotherapy, take on responsibility for unit of study coordination and contribute to curriculum development

·         pursue a research program in the area of physiotherapy including grant acquisition, presentations and peer-reviewed publications

·         recruit and supervise postgraduate research students

·         contribute to the Faculty’s academic program

·         contribute to administrative aspects of teaching and research.

In addition, for a level D appointment, you will:

·         provide academic leadership within the Discipline of Physiotherapy, and particularly within your area of expertise

·         develop and lead collaborative research projects.

About you

The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance of recruiting talent aligned to these values and are looking for a Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor who has:

·         a PhD in a field relevant to physiotherapy

·         clinical expertise in musculoskeletal physiotherapy and/or neurological physiotherapy

·         an established publication record in high impact journals

·         demonstrated capacity for research grant acquisition

·         experience in research-informed teaching of physiotherapy at the tertiary level

·         experience with research student supervision

·         experience in curriculum development and course coordination

·         good communication skills

·         the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team

·         eligibility for registration as a physiotherapist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.

·         postgraduate clinical qualifications in physiotherapy will be highly regarded, but not essential

·         clinical expertise in physiotherapy for older persons is desirable, but not essential.

In addition, for a level D appointment, you will possess:

·         extensive teaching experience with undergraduate and postgraduate students within physiotherapy

·         a record of successful research higher degree student supervision

·         a successful background in independent research, as demonstrated by a record of peer reviewed publications and competitive grant acquisition

·         demonstrated ability to lead and develop academic teams in teaching and research and ability to work effectively within collaborative teaching and research teams

·         outstanding achievement in both teaching and research.

About us

The Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Sydney is a world leader in health sciences research and education. Courage and creativity guides our decision making, teaching and research. The strategic direction of the faculty is to be known nationally and internationally for the impact of our transformational education and research, and importantly, our research will be deeply embedded with our global partners. The faculty seeks mutually beneficial engagement with local health districts, primary health care networks, academia, industry and communities. We work effectively in diverse cultural settings. Our students represent culturally and socially diverse backgrounds; hence we are building a health workforce that reflects Australia's diversity. As well as graduating outstanding clinicians we graduate leaders in health who have an international perspective.

The faculty’s Discipline of Physiotherapy is actively involved in ground-breaking multi-disciplinary research that has had a substantial impact on the health and quality of life of the community across the lifespan: from evidence-based management of musculoskeletal problems, increasing mobility and function for patients with acute onset and degenerative neurological conditions, acute cardiopulmonary conditions, to exercise rehabilitation for patients with chronic disease. One of the hallmarks of the faculty is research-informed teaching, and consequently we ensure that our undergraduate and postgraduate physiotherapy programs are enriched by cutting-edge research.

Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We are Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ over 7,600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.

We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

How to apply

For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.

All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website.  Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.

Closing date: 11.30pm 23 February 2018

The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.

© The University of Sydney

The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.