Dear Maria,
I have been working on design with empathy particularly within the
context of inclusive architectural and interior design education.
Although  not specifically focused on precedents of design without
empathy, the following articles may be of interest on empathic design
education methods and outcomes.

Best,
Burçak

Altay, Burçak, “Multisensory Inclusive Design Education: A 3D
Experience,” The Design Journal, 20(6), 821-846, 2017.

Altay, Burçak , “Developing empathy towards older adults in design,”
Educational Gerontology, 43(4), 198-208, 2017.

Altay, B., G. Ballice, E. Bengisu, S. Alkan and E. Paykoç. “Embracing
User Experience in Inclusive Design Education through Learner-Centered
Instruction”, International Journal of Inclusive Education, 12(11),
2016: 1123-1141. DOI: 10.1080/13603116.2016.1155662.

Altay, Burçak and Halime Demirkan. “Inclusive Design: Developing
Students' Knowledge and Attitude Through Empathic Modeling”,
International Journal of Inclusive Education,19(2), 2014: 196-217.
DOI:10.1080/13603116.2013.764933

---
Dr. Burçak Altay
Assist. Prof. of Practice

Bilkent University
Faculty of Art, Design, and Architecture
Department of Interior Architecture and Environmental Design
06800 Bilkent/Ankara TURKEY
Phone: +90-312-2902651
e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Maria Miller wrote:

-snip-

My name is Maria Miller, Visiting Assistant Professor of Design at The
Ohio
State University and I am interested in better understanding the value
of
empathy in design. This is my first post.

-snip-