Hello Alma,

You could check this (sketch book of « Villard de Honnecourt » ) as one of the oldest references to my knowledge in the western world :
http://classes.bnf.fr/villard/feuillet/index.htm <http://classes.bnf.fr/villard/feuillet/index.htm>
From folio 35 onward, you might notice the combination / transition of descriptive and schematic (« principle ») sketching
For something that would be closer to what we call technical drawing (descriptive), you could check (also the same period) :
http://diglib.hab.de/mss/114-1-extrav/start.htm <http://diglib.hab.de/mss/114-1-extrav/start.htm>

What I understand from your question could open different avenues, but you probably explored them (sorry then) :

- one is to look at the history of technical drawing, and of course specifically architectural drawing. I am sure there are plenty of excellent resources in English, including facsimile (not being English, I don’t know them). This might help better situate the relative role of sketching / drawing / rendering within the design process.
Gothic architects had a simple « false » square to

- another route is to look at the status of the image within the document that you have at hand. What I mean by that is that you can have a sketch that is an organizational principle, a drawing that is a technical drawing (closer to a plan or an elevation) or a descriptive drawing (closer to some kind of « rendering »), or a diagram, or even a « wild object ». I would suggest, as an easy reference likely to be in your library the sketchbooks of Louis Kahn, where all these aspects are demonstrated (and what is great is that there is no linear order within a given project, meaning by that that a descriptive drawing might be followed by a diagram and then a technical sketch and another diagram etc.)
Maybe this is clearer than words :
1firstunitarianchurchandschool.jpg <http://www.arthistory.upenn.edu/themakingofaroom/images/1firstunitarianchurchandschool.jpg>
Or this fascinating page : https://www.design.upenn.edu/louis-i-kahn/broadway-church-and-office-building <https://www.design.upenn.edu/louis-i-kahn/broadway-church-and-office-building>
Thanks, I just discovered that there is this fantastic resource — but not totally free :( — :
https://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/co_display_images.cfm/480049?IMAGE_GALLERY_SORTBY=projectname&IMAGE_GALLERY_PAGE=31 <https://www.philadelphiabuildings.org/pab/app/co_display_images.cfm/480049?IMAGE_GALLERY_SORTBY=projectname&IMAGE_GALLERY_PAGE=31>

As a final note, I did some work on the status of « drawing » or «  sketching » in danse : maybe you can find the book « traces of dance » by Laurence Louppe (a book of the mid 90’s). What I found interesting to look at was how each choreographer was attempting to resolve via the graphical medium, which is an excellent indication of « what is at work ».

My 2 cts,

Jean