Hi Gunnar,

This book is just what I’ve been looking for – thx for the recommendation!

Best wishes,

Amanda Karlsson
PhD fellow
School of Communication and Culture
Aarhus University
Helsingforsgade 14
Wiener, room 131
8200 Aarhus N
+45 40603734
DataLab <http://www.datalab.au.dk/>
Digital Society <http://digitalsociety.dk/>

On 16/01/2018, 10.47, "PhD-Design - This list is for discussion of PhD studies and related research in Design on behalf of Gunnar Swanson" <[log in to unmask] on behalf of [log in to unmask]> wrote:

    There was a brief discussion on this list about 2 1/2 years ago when Alice Goffman’s book *On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City* came out. As much as I admired some aspects of her work, it had serious flaws centered around, to put it politely, Goffman’s lack of obsession with factual truth. I was mostly disturbed by the number of prominent anthropologists who defended the worst aspects of the book and her related statements, and who generally dismissed the idea that accuracy in describing the world was important.

    While most reviews of the book and Goffman’s related TED talk were completely positive, some were not. Perhaps her most outspoken critic was Northwestern University law professor Steven Lubet. Lubet was disturbed enough that he embarked on a major exploration of the relationship between ethnography and evidence. Coming from a law background, he largely compared the way evidence is presented in court and the way evidence is presented by ethnographers. The result is a new book from Oxford Press called *Interrogating Ethnography: why evidence matters*. I just finished it. It is worth the time of anyone interested in the ethics of truth telling.

    Gunnar

    Gunnar Swanson
    East Carolina University
    graphic design program