Yet in Robert Cowdrey’s Table of Hard Words (the first English Dictionary of 1604) we find only:
"Concept. Conceiueing in the womb"
https://pt.scribd.com/document/165363694/A-Table-Alphabeticall-of-Hard-Usual-English-Words-R-Cawdrey

However in Florio’s 1611 Italian English Dictionary (http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/florio/129.html) we find

Concetto: conceived with child. also a conceit, or apprehension of the mind

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/florio/129.html

A few years later in “The New World of English Words” by Edward Philips around 1658 we find only conception as giving birth:  https://quod.lib.umich.edu/e/eebo/A54746.0001.001/1:10.3.7?rgn=div3;view=fulltext

So, We must go forth to Nathan Bailey’s first comprehensive etymological dictionary of the English Language of 1763. :

CONCEIT’ (Conceptum, L.): Imagination, Fancy, Opinion
To CONCEIT’ (Concipere, L.): To imagine, to Fancy
(…)
To CONCEIVE (Concevoir, F. Concipere, L.): To imagine or apprehend, to form an Idea of; also to breed a Child in the Womb.
(…)
CONCEPT’: a set Form or Term used in a publik area
(…)
CONCEP’TION: a conceiving or breeding a Child; a comprehending;. F. of L.
CONCEP’TION (in Logick): is the simple Apprehension, Perception or Idea, which we have, without proceeding to affirm or deny any Thing.

Bailey, Nathan, An Universal Etymological Dictionary; … London, 1763 …twentieth edition,  price six shillings.

I like this one: “without proceeding to affirm or deny any Thing". And, of course, the introduction of imagination in the process.
But what I find really determinant to our area is “to form an Idea”.
best,
E.

Eduardo Corte-Real
PhD Arch.
Associate Professor
Professor Associado com Agregação

Av. Dom Carlos I, nº4, 1200-649 Lisboa, Portugal
T: +351 213 939 600