Hi Elizabeth

I do not have answers to your first two questions (and being from the US, not sure if suppliers here would help you), however I do have some comments about the last two:

3.       I would think that plastic boxes would give you a better buffer against humidity and temperature changes that may be crucial in the long term care of fish scales and otoliths.  We purchase our injection molded polystyrene boxes from Durphy packaging for our skeletal collections in ichthyology and herpetology.  They have a wide range of hinged and unhinged boxes in various sizes and shapes that are light and chemical resistant.  I am sure you can find something that would work for your scale envelopes here - http://www.durphypkg.com/boxes.html.

4.       Here in ichthyology and herpetology we use a thermal transfer printing system that prints onto spun bound polyester and creates indestructible labels that stand the test of time - they will not crack, yellow, fade or degrade over time and can be safely used in alcoholic collections.  Attached is information about the printer and pricing information from our supplier here in the states, Alpha Systems.  I have also attached an article I wrote for the SPNHC newsletter some time ago about this system.  We have been using it in our collections for about 15 years now and have been very happy with the results.  I have had a non-scientific test going on my window ledge in full sunlight for about the same amount of time with labels in ethanol, formalin and glycerin and the labels look as good as new.

Happy to answer any questions you may have regarding these two products.

Andy
    A  :             A  :             A  :
 }<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<(((_°>.,.,.,.}<)))_°>
    V                V                V
Andy Bentley
Ichthyology Collection Manager
University of Kansas
Biodiversity Institute
Dyche Hall
1345 Jayhawk Boulevard<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
Lawrence, KS, 66045-7561<x-apple-data-detectors://9>
USA<x-apple-data-detectors://9>

Tel: (785) 864-3863<tel:%28785%29%20864-3863>
Fax: (785) 864-5335<tel:%28785%29%20864-5335>
http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu<http://ichthyology.biodiversity.ku.edu/>
    A  :             A  :             A  :
    V                V                V