Hello- this is an update on a conference we’re holding here in Manchester from 11-13 April 2018. The conference is for anyone with an interest or curiosity in exploring how museums have, could, should or might connect people constructively (not depressingly!) with climate change. We will be promoting constructive thinking, feeling and doing. Speakers include world-leading climate change communicators, academics, and museum people, and we’ll be exploring the Anthropocene, connections between science, social sciences and humanities approaches, perspectives from around the world, what networks and policy actors are doing that we can connect with, what the smallest and the biggest museums can do. The third day will consist of a facilitated workshop that will develop a template ‘climate change exhibition for anywhere’. It is a great opportunity to be party of the template’s development, and to go away with a reasonably concrete idea of what you can do in your museum/gallery/site/venue/community. Participants will also get a copy of the ebook that is produced based on some of the presentations. The most important thing is that attendees go feeling encouraged, empowered and motivated: you’re not alone!

Details of registration are below.

Please forward this on to your networks.

Very best wishes,

Henry

Henry McGhie BSc MA AMA | Head of Collections and Curator of Zoology | Manchester Museum | The University of Manchester | Oxford Road | Manchester | M13 9PL |  0161 275 2482 | www.manchester.ac.uk/museum |

This year I am promoting biodiversity for the good of the environment and for people's well-being

First Update: International Symposium on Climate Change and Museums, Manchester UK, 11th-13th April 2018

Dear Colleagues,

This is a first update on our event, where we pose and answer four main questions.

1. Where will the event be held?
The Symposium will be held at Manchester Museum at the University of Manchester:
http://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/. The exact address is:
Manchester Museum, The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL
Here are further details on how to get there: http://www.museum.manchester.ac.uk/visit/gettinghere/

2. Which hotels are nearby?
There are many hotels in Manchester to choose from, with a wide range of prices.
The closes
t ones to the venue are as follows (please google the details of your chosen hotel):

* The Principal Manchester, 4 stars, about 15 minutes walk or 3 bus stops along Oxford Road
* Holiday Inn Express Oxford Road: 3 stars, about 12 minutes walk or 3 bus stops along Oxford Road
* Ibis Hotel Princess Street: 2 stars, about 17 minutes walk or 3 bus stops along Oxford Road

3. How do I register?
Registrations are now open can be made via this link:
https://www.kxregistration.mmu.ac.uk/WSCCM18 . The deadline for registrations is 30th January 2018.

4. Do I need to submit a written paper?
You do not need to submit a written paper, in order to take part on the event. You can simply attend it and
make a presentation. However, you wish to have a chapter considered for the book
 ‘Climate Change and Museums: critical approaches to engagement and management’,
we will need a paper following the guidelines and within the deadlines specified when we accepted your
abstracts. As a reminder: full papers are due by 30th January 2018.

We hope to have been comprehensive enough, but please let us know if you have any questions
or need any details.  We look forward to your registrations as soon as possible, but no later than the
30th January 2018.

A second update will be sent to you in the first week of February 2018, where we will ask all registered delegates for the
details of their presentations. We will close and send you all the programme in mid-February 2018, i.e.
about two months before the Symposium.

Rgds,

Walter & Henry