Thank you to all contributors, especially the gents who suggested looking at A H John's work, which I hope to do.

Roger Burt, you did write that book rather a long time ago - a valid excuse for not remembering! But having trawled old Staffs directories online, I found a reference to James Keir & Co. in the introductory text to Tipton in 'Staffs General & Commercial' 1818, who made everything you noted (your p.253 para 2) as being made by Walker there.
http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p16445coll4/id/339965/rec/2

Didn't find a Walker lead works in the six directories 1818-1865 word-searched, confirming Peter King - before seeing his email!! Keir's Tipton 'manufactory' was the only one resembling a 'lead works' making a wide product range from lead - the rest were making red lead and perhaps a couple of other products.

All the best for the New Year.

Andy Cuckson

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------