As an inevitable consequence of researching women and girls at the mines of the south west, I have accumulated various information about this wider area. In addition, many of you have been kind enough to send me various references etc. over the years. I have now gathered a database of 3000+ names and they are now on our website (under the ‘Women and Mining UK and Ireland’ section). In due course, I hope to deposit a copy of what I have accumulated/researched with Sallie Basham in the NMRS library. As ever, I would be very grateful for any additional information/corrections/ideas. Covering such a wide area, has meant that my coverage is very patchy and about 50% secondary sources. So all this is very incomplete – but maybe useful to someone!! (Named women + children in the database cover Derbyshire, Yorkshire, Northumberland, Durham, Cumbria, Shropshire, IOM, Wales, NI and Ireland, Somerset (lead), Yorkshire, Cumbria, Anglesey, Mid Devon, Aidrie (copper), South Wales, Black Country, Ironbridge area, Guisbourough, Scotland (iron), along  with a few odd ones like gold + alum. The gathered text is more widespread than that, including Staffordshire copper mines, for example. If anyone would like a copy of the text (as and when finished) or information gathered for a particular area, please let me know.

Lynne

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------