In the days of roller-crushed ores, was there any generally accepted bag design (bag material/seam-stitching/capacity) for transport from dressing floor to smelt works?

I'm especially concerned with mines which weren't smelting their own (lead) ores, which meant that there could be some loss on a long cross-country journey. (E.g. from old railway wagons with gaps between the planks.)

Moving to zinc, I know of one buyer of zinc ore from Snailbeach who asked at least twice that the insides of his main line delivery railway wagons be carefully lined with tarpaulins to prevent loss. This sounds to me as if the mine might not have been bagging the stuff.

Many thanks,

Andy Cuckson

If you need to leave the list, send the following message to [log in to unmask] -

leave mining-history
---------