Dear All

You will no doubt have heard the shocking news that Agnes Gereb has been sentenced to a two year prison sentence in Hungary. I wonder if it would be possible for us to send a collective letter of some kind? I am copying and pasting some suggestions and a letter which Paul Golden has written. Paul is suggesting that people use this to inspire their own letters but I do think a collective response from the UK midwifery community would be appropriate - Soo Downe you spring to mind as very good at drafting letters!

Best wishes

Nicky Grace

Here are Paul's suggestions:

Regarding the two year jail sentence for Ágnes Gareb.

Notes and suggestions for an effective letter writing campaign.

Please Plan the letter before writing.

The aim is to create global justification for the president to grant clemency.

Keeping to brief facts rather than emotion.

Introduce yourself and your relationship to Ágnes Gareb and her work with birth and human rights.

Please Mention which country and any organisation you represent.

Give your reasons: Why it is important that Ágnes be granted clemency.

Thank You.

Dear President Áder

Clemency Request for Agnes Gareb

We, members of the international community respectfully request that you provide clemency for Agnes Gareb.

I am a human rights advocate, lecturer & midwife working in the UK Australia and New Zealand. I work with The Global Midwifery Council (GMC) who endorse this letter to you. The GMC is an organisation of leaders in midwifery and childbirth education.

I have visited Agnes in Hungary whilst researching this case.

Reasons to consider for granting clemency

  1.  Time Served - The time be considered to already have been served due to the lengthy legal proceedings that started in 2010.

  1.  Ágnes has already spent periods in jail and many years under house detention.

  2.  These court actions have placed restrictions on Ágnes from being free to travel, work or live her life with respect to private and family life.  (These are the very values she sought to uphold).

  3.  The lengthy proceedings have had a significantly negative impact on Ágnes’ health and wellbeing.

  4.  The restrictions preventing Ágnes from working have caused great financial hardship.

  5.  Ágnes’ family and friends have suffered distress during this lengthy process and now again with the jail sentence.

  6.  Ágnes provides help to her large family caring for her grandchildren and others.

  7.  Ágnes provides dedicated care for her aged and unwell mother at home.

  8.  The local, national and international community benefit from Ágnes who gives her support to many causes for the benefit of others.

  9.  Ágnes’ family friends and the communities will lose this valuable loving support if she goes to jail.

  10. Ágnes was meeting the international law requirements of Article 8 and the judgement laid down by the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg (Ternovszky v Hungary 2012), when she provided her care to families choosing out of hospital births.

  11. Ágnes has demonstrated her deep understanding from the proceedings, learning and reflecting greatly on the findings by the court.

We urge you to use your Presidential powers for the benefit of Ágnes,Hungary and the global community.

Paul Golden