Thank you very much everyone for your help

BW

Nicola

On Monday, 15 January 2018, 22:20:33 GMT, Thomas Izbicki <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Two thoughts:

- constructo is a past participle, so the chapel might have already been built & infra usually does mean beneath.

- The reference to the mother church of Cogges might make this a privilege to hear mass outside the parish church on Sunday & other occasions.

Tom Izbicki

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Nicola Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2018 6:54:11 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [M-R] Licence for Mass

I wonder if anyone could offer an accurate translation of the text below please.  It is a licence given to John Grey of Rotherfield (1272-1311) in May 1304 for mass to be said for himself, his wife and family in an 'oratorio' at Cogges, Oxfordshire.  At this date, he was married to Margaret Oddingsell (1277- before 1359) and they had two small sons. The manor was held in dower by his grandmother, the elderly Isabel Duston, who died later that year. Margaret received the property in dower when John died in 1311. There was a substantial mid thirteenth-century manor house just east of the church which contained a rectangular building with pointed windows, possibly a chapel.  The church next door to the manor has an elaborately furnished north chapel of c 1330-50, apparently commemorating Margaret though no foundation documents have been found.

The text is a short entry in the register of John Dalderby (d.1320), Bishop of Lincoln, Lincs Archives, Dioc/Reg/3 f. 82 v.

“Concessio cantar' domini Iohannis de Grey.

Idi maii. anno quinto apud Lud'. concessit episcopus utentum quantum imposuit domino Iohanni de Grey militi quod posset facere celebrari diuina in oratorio infra mansum suum de Coges constructo dummodo decens fuerit et honestum sibi et uxori sue ac libere familie eo per licentiam sacerdotem propriis sumptibus exhibendum absque preiudicio matricis ecclesie de Coges usque ad ipsius episcopi beneplacitum uoluntatis. et hoc fecit de consensu prioris de Coges. etc
.”

(Transcription. Dr Andrew Dunning, Curator of Medieval Historical Manuscripts, 1100–1500, The British Library)

 I can get the general sense but not the detail and would like to clarify the following:

Is the oratory definitely a private chapel within the manor house or could it be the chapel in the parish church?
Is it yet to be built or does it already exist?
Is the mass a chantry mass?
Were licences transferable between buildings? If so, could the licence have been granted for a private chapel in the manor house pending the construction of the chantry chapel in the church next door?

I apologise for asking so many questions but would be very grateful for any help.

Thank you very much

Nicola Lowe