Academia is great when you need to see an article (or draft) you cannot otherwise get. As to the 'for pay' features, I just ignore them. Yes, I find it irritating to be asked if I want to know what cities the people reading my articles are from, but I´m not curious enough to pay for this information.  I don´t use it a lot, and agree in principle with the concerns that have been exprerssed, but at times it is unbelievably useful!

Meg

From: medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]> on behalf of Richard Legault <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 9:21 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] Academia.edu: Is it good for scholarship?

I too am becoming increasingly disenchanted by the Academia.edu product.
In recent months it has begun spamming me with commercial ads targeted directly to me based on my shopping around elsewhere on the web for certain specific products (running shoes, travel destinations, etc). Evidently, they are in a shameless commercial relationship with other for-profit enterprises from which they earn revenue based on their users’ on-line shopping behaviors. Many users will find this exploitative and experience, as I do, a certain sense of privacy violation.  Others will be indifferent or like many people I know, actually find the ads and discount coupons useful.

Moreover, Academia.edu continues to pester me with their offers of fee-based premium features. It would be nice to be able to decline these offers, once and for all, rather than have them in my face every time I log into the site.

As they continue to develop and expand their for-profit business model I shall have to decide at what point their product crosses the threshold between the currently symbiotic and the foreseeable parasitic.

I would like to see more on this forum about other alternatives available out there. Is there something else worth considering?

Richard J Legault