Nicola

I /think /"constructo ... fuerit" suggests that the chapel has already
been built and I don't think it is a chantry chapel.

I've tried to translate but I am struggling (out of practice!)
especially with mansum, which ought to be a participle of maneo, to
remain; and by the apparent lack of a noun to accompany the adjective
divina.  Would you mind awfully checking your transcript?

Regards

Jane

On 15/01/2018 11:54, Nicola Lowe wrote:
> Dear Medievalists,
>
> May I ask for your expert help, please?
>
> I wonder if anyone could offer an accurate translation of the text
> below please.  It is a licence given to John Grey of Rotherfield
> (1272-1311) in May 1304 for mass to be said for himself, his wife and
> family in an 'oratorio' at Cogges, Oxfordshire.  At this date, he was
> married to Margaret Oddingsell (1277- before 1359) and they had two
> small sons. The manor was held in dower by his grandmother, the
> elderly Isabel Duston, who died later that year. Margaret received the
> property in dower when John died in 1311. There was a substantial mid
> thirteenth-century manor house just east of the church which contained
> a rectangular building with pointed windows, possibly a chapel.  The
> church next door to the manor has an elaborately furnished north
> chapel of c 1330-50, apparently commemorating Margaret though no
> foundation documents have been found.
>
> The text is a short entry in the register of John Dalderby (d.1320),
> Bishop of Lincoln, Lincs Archives, Dioc/Reg/3 f. 82 v.
>

> “Concessio cantar' domini Iohannis de Grey.
>
> Idi maii. anno quinto apud Lud'. concessit episcopus utentum quantum
> imposuit domino Iohanni de Grey militi quod posset facere celebrari
> diuina in oratorio infra mansum suum de Coges constructo dummodo
> decens fuerit et honestum sibi et uxori sue ac libere familie eo per
> licentiam sacerdotem propriis sumptibus exhibendum absque preiudicio
> matricis ecclesie de Coges usque ad ipsius episcopi beneplacitum
> uoluntatis. et hoc fecit de consensu prioris de Coges. etc.”
>
> (Transcription. Dr Andrew Dunning, Curator of Medieval Historical
> Manuscripts, 1100–1500, The British Library)
>

>  I can get the general sense but not the detail and would like to
> clarify the following:
>
> Is the oratory definitely a private chapel within the manor house or
> could it be the chapel in the parish church?
> Is it yet to be built or does it already exist?
> Is the mass a chantry mass?
> Were licences transferable between buildings? If so, could the licence
> have been granted for a private chapel in the manor house pending the
> construction of the chantry chapel in the church next door?
>
> I apologise for asking so many questions but would be very grateful
> for any help.
>
> Thank you very much
>
> Nicola Lowe

> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> In order to report problems or to
> contact the list's owners, write to:
> <mailto:[log in to unmask]> For further
> information, visit our web site:
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/medieval-religion