Hi Dr Serafini

My name is Perelandra Beedles and I am a senior lecturer and programme leader on the Television Production Management degree at Edgehill university. As an ex television industry professional who now teaches undergraduates the art of putting together schedules and looking after crews, the practice of the working hours opt-out has long been a concern to me. Increasingly I have been looking at ways to deliver television production without the need to erode peoples health and well being.I am currently working on a paper around these ideas and wondered if you would be be interested in me presenting my ideas at your conference.

Should we be moving to a feminisation of TV production schedules? The Gendered Practice Of The TV “Opt Out”

Opting out of the government directive, regarding how many hours an employee can be asked to work, has been common practice in the broadcast industry for many years. Filming shoots are complex, demanding and expensive, populated by crews who pride themselves on the ability to keep going until the final scene is complete.

Television Production Managers have long relied on staff ignoring the 48-hour rule, when drawing up filming plans. The opt out clause is often the only way ambitious shooting schedules can be achieved and viewed as a freedom from convention, but is this really the case?

The almost macho ethos of staying “until the job is done” effectively ignores how impossible this masculine work ethic can be for women to subscribe to.

By creating filming schedules which favour those with few caring responsibilities, are we effectively barring female workers from certain projects? Reinforcing a machismo culture of production?

Should we be moving to a feminisation of TV production schedules?

If you feel these ideas might be of interest to your conference attendees please let me know.

Best

Perelandra Beedles
Senior Lecturer BA (Hons) Television Production Management
Office-Creative Edge Room CE214
Phone ex 6386