From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike Heyworth
Sent: 19 January 2018 15:28
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

Without wishing to add to the general confusion in this area, as we all find our feet with the new regulations, I would just add to the comments from Chris below when he says:

"The member has a contract with the club to supply membership benefits in return for subscription fees, so my reading is that consent is not needed."

The advice we have received is that this only works whilst the contract is in place, ie whilst the individual is a member. As soon as their membership lapses this is no longer the case and you cannot assume that you can chase them up to encourage them to renew unless you have their specific permission to do so - though it might be possible to include this in a specific new membership contract which societies might introduce ...

Mike

--
Dr Mike Heyworth MBE MCIfA FSA
Director, Council for British Archaeology Beatrice de Cardi House, 66 Bootham, York YO30 7BZ

The CBA is a registered charity in England & Wales (287815) & a charity registered in Scotland (SC041971). It is also a Company Limited by Guarantee 1760254

Join us at http://new.archaeologyuk.org/join-us-today/