Hi Nick,
Not sure about your answer to GDPR but in relation to finding the records with personal names in: in 2010 before we put our data online we ran a few queries to find personal names, a lot of ours contained the person’s title so we search for Mr, Mrs etc to locate most of them as.  We did a few others as well which I can’t remember, ways of finding capital letters to return unique terms which you could then search on or something? I don’t have the queries to hand, but if you ask one of the Welsh HERs they may be able to find them for you.
Charina

From: Issues related to Historic Environment Records [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nick Boldrini
Sent: 18 January 2018 09:24
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)

I have asked internally about this, but waiting for a reply, so thought I would post this here in case anyone has suggestions.

Whilst doing a Data Protection audit  (as part of our HER Audit Action Plan) I found that in some of our digital records, there are included personal details of people who have made finds etc. These are often private individuals. Unfortunately, they are also usually just generically in the text rather than a particular field, so its difficult to find them.

Had a chat with the local DPA person and agreed that we would just clean these out as we encountered them during other HER enhancement.

Under the new regulations would that be4 acceptable?

I should also point out that often these are quite old records, ie early 90’s or earlier.

Theres not many – but it would be a pain to have to trawl all our records just to find them, as it would literally involving clicking through every record to find them

Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Nick Boldrini
Historic Environment Record Officer