Dear Roger,

You have a big challenge! I have some fairly obvious advice to add to the
already excellent suggestions and discussion. Apologies for the long email!

I co-lead a trip to NW Scotland with 30 end-of-first-year undergraduates.
Whilst we go in the summer, the weather is frequently very wet, freezing,
and windy (the opposite of your problem but a problem nonetheless). The
elevation change is similar to yours, and the terrain is rough, boggy, and
sometimes precarious. We have some fairly stringent health and safety rules
in the UK - including risk assessment, the use of hard hats, hi-visibility
vests (SO helpful when 30 students are scattered over 2 km^2 mapping area),
and very little hammering due to how popular the field areas are for UK
geology students and amateurs. These rules are easy and cheap to enforce
once you set them up.

My advice for dealing with the physically unfit:

(1) If your field day involves leading the students around the area in a
big group, always make sure you wait until everyone has arrived to start
lecturing the group. I've been on trips where this wasn't done, and the
slow students who arrive last are at a huge disadvantage and it just ruins
their self esteem. Whilst you're waiting, the first-to-arrive students can
look at the outcrop. The slower students are still at a disadvantage (less
time to look at the rocks), but much better than the 'arrive late to the
outcrop lecture' situation.

(2) I don't know if this is possible for you, but I always make sure there
is a member of staff/teaching assistant/demonstrator who brings up the rear
of the group. This person should be as encouraging as the situation
warrants, and able to explain anything the students at the back may miss
along the way. Heck, if you want to really encourage them, you as trip
leader can always bring up the back.

(3) When mapping independently, I encourage students to never sit down
while they are working (except for lunch and proper breaks after the bigger
hills, if needed!). The shear act of sitting down just slows them down even
more - I know this sounds counterintuitive for helping students with
fitness problems, but try to get them to just stand still when looking at
rocks/making notes. This is still a rest from walking/climbing but they
will at least be getting work done and not taking the opportunity to have
an extended break at every outcrop. The ticks in Scotland help my case but
I think the fear of snakes/etc could help in dry environments.

Finally, for the problem of having so many female students who are not keen
on field geology...
(4) Encourage female staff and female teaching assistants/demonstrators to
teach in the field! I cannot stress enough how much it helps an
undergraduate female geologist to have a female role model in the teaching
staff.

As I said, this is all obvious but the small things can help. We are always
under so much pressure to cover everything possible in the field (and I am
still in favour of trying to do so) but if you are really being faced with
having to cut field programs because the students can't keep up, then it
seems better to try and accommodate the slower students and just cover less
ground (as much as I hate to suggest it and only as a last resort!). I tend
to find that when they map independently, they go into pairs that work at
similar pace (you can definitely encourage this), and sometimes going
slower is better in the end because they see more rocks.

Good luck!
Laura

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 5:01 PM, Roger Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> My apologies for the rather rambling message below. Please ignore, except
> for the bit that I am trying to explore ways to “help students help
> themselves”. Field schools appear to be particularly stressful and
> exhausting and I would like the learning experience to be so much more
> positive. The message from many of you has been that self-starters will
> always prepare fitness-wise; I think that those who are battling in other
> areas in class may gain great self-belief from improving fitness and, as a
> result, be able to handle the mental challenges of fieldwork more readily,
> thus improving confidence further, on top of enhancing their learning
> experience. Fieldwork is, of course, what makes the theory come alive.
>

> Regards,
>

> Roger

Dr Laura C Gregory
NERC Independent Research Fellow
Institute of Geophysics & Tectonics
School of Earth & Environment
University of Leeds
Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK

+44 (0)113 343 1335 <+44%20113%20343%201335> (office)
+44 (0)113 343 6714 <+44%20113%20343%206714> (lab)