Thanks for the sharing your impressions on this issue. In my experience,
physical fitness for field courses is a problem for some, but not all of
our students. The proportion of unfit students has decreased since the
number of required field courses has decreased (see comments below), which
is perhaps the only positive aspect of  making field courses a voluntary
part of the curriculum (!) Before each field course, I distribute a short
handout of “dos” and “don’ts” and then go over these with all participants
twice, once in a preparatory seminar, and again at the beginning of our
field course. So far, I have not followed the advice of some university
administrators to have students sign and return these handouts. My view is
that students are adults and that part of their education is to acquire
the field “savvy” necessary to assess for themselves any dangers. The list
I distribute is basically common sense, but common sense applied outdoors
has certainly been on the wane for some time. Thank goodness, nothing
serious has yet happened, although we have had some close calls. We work a
lot in the Alpine chains (currently the Alps and Dinarides) and vet the
students before taking them along. The idea of including some first-aid
skills is excellent, and not just useful for field courses.