HI Andy

Sounds like you probably need some of these coloured interlocking foam floor tiles from Halfords :

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/rolson-8pc-coloured-inter-locking-floor-mat

these are £15 for eight, so quite cheap and cheerful.

If you don’t like the colours they also do them in grey. The grey ones have one side textured, the other side plain.

If interlocking isn’t your thing a Stanley knife and steel rule will make shortish work of the interlocking projections.

Spray paint and a stencil may well be the most cost-effective way of putting the design you want onto the tiles.  The other way of doing it would probably be to get them screen printed, but this will cost at least an order of magnitude more than the paint. Maybe if you have the budget for a swanky job this would be the way to go, after you’ve made a cheap-and-cheerful prototype with halfords tiles and spray (or brush) paint.

Hope this helps

Regards

Richard.

Richard Ellam