Hi everyone,

I am working with a teacher to create an educational resource for a national project. We have included a number of images of historical and contemporary artist works to illustrate the materials, with reference to artist, title, date and the websites they are sourced from. I was working under the assumption that the educational ‘fair dealing’ exemption would apply to this, meaning that we would not be infringing copyright by reproducing these images in a teaching resource as per these guidelines: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/375951/Education_and_Teaching.pdf

However, the organisation I am producing this work for has indicated that it is our singular responsibility to check the copyright of all the images we are using, and this has made me doubt myself. Has anyone got any experience of this, or advice they can offer me? If I can’t be certain that the resource is exempt, I may need to remove all of the images of historical art works, as I am running short on time. But, that would make for a rather sad resource!

Any advice is appreciated,

--

Hannah Gaunt

Learning and Engagement Coordinator

The Turnpike

Civic Square

Leigh

WN7 1EB

01942 404 469

www.theturnpike.org.uk

www.facebook.com/TurnpikeLeigh

Please note I work part-time, my usual days in the office are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday.